The first time I had this beet and avocado salad, something inside me exploded. I was like, “What is this
Chat Noir Bistro in NYC.
Let’s start with the over-the-top flavor beet and avocado salad explosion experience I encountered at an Upper East Side French bistro in New York City called Chat Noir Bistro. (Unfortunately, it’s now closed.) Dennis and I were having an
I wanted to try everything
Apples. Blue Cheese. Avocados. What a unique combination! I took the first bite. And another bite. And another bite. The salad was gone faster than I can write out and another bite. Gone. Devoured. Evaporated. Pure flavor explosion!
The original recipe called for apples but I have found that substituting pears instead notched up the delicious taste factor!
What does this salad taste like?
It’s one-part comfort food, one-part good-for-you-food, and two-parts crazy-delicious! Blue cheese is heavy in this salad, so that delicious smelling blue cheese funk first hits your noise. Then, the crispness of the pear (or apple) mixed with olive oil becomes magic. This salad tastes like a four-course meal. Not heavy on the sweet, but with just the right amount of fat, sweet, salty, and bitter.
Is it simple to make?
Ridiculously simple. Find a bowl, cut up a pear, cut up an avocado, and drizzle olive
How should you prepare the beets?
- The easiest is to cook beets in a pressure cooker and just peel the skins off.
- The second easiest way is to boil them and remove the skins.
- The third easiest way is to peel
the, cut them up and roast them.
I do not recommend eating beets raw in this particular recipe since the chopped chunks would be extremely difficult to chew.
How long does this salad last?
Because avocados are involved, eat this salad right away. Everything else can be prepared ahead of time…. leave the avocados for last. Once you’ve tossed it all together. Eat quickly so the avocados won’t turn.
But mostly…….. it won’t last long because you’re going to want to GOBBLE IT UP!
What is your favorite way to prepare a beet salad?
You’re in for a treat.
A beet treat.
Eat well, my friends.
Chat Noir Bistro’s Beet and Avocado Salad
- 1 pear (or apple)
- 1 avocado
- 1 red beet (peeled and cooked)
- 1 tbsp crumbled blue cheese
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- fine sea salt
- Boil water on stove and drop in red beet, skin on. This should take approximately thirty minutes to cook. Insert a knife into the flesh until it easily pushes through.
- Remove beets from water and let cool.
- Remove skin of beet and dice. Add to a mixing bowl.
- Peel pear and avocado. Dice both and add to bowl.
- Add blue cheese and olive oil to bowl. Toss. Add salt to taste.
- Serve and enjoy!