*** UPDATE (7/10/2011) This recipe was featured on themightyrib, a Houston food blog. It was a test kitchen post, so you might be interested in checking out the variations they adapted with this recipe. Read it, here. ~Lyndi ***
Summer means grilling.
Grilling means chicken breast.
Chicken breast means… jalapeno-cilantro tomato relish.
Uh, I just drooled a little.
I hijacked this recipe from my favorite-foodie-frenzy-friends, Nathan and Amanda. (Love you guys!)
This is #2 of three recipes that I had the privilege of providing for The Cobblestone Farm Project in Fayetteville.
If you make this recipe, you will have warm-fuzzy feel-good vibes because it was created for a good cause.
See how giving you are?
Grilled Chicken Breast with Fresh Jalapeno-Cilantro Tomato Relish
Recipe adapted from my friend’s (Nathan Willoughby) lime based hot dog relish
3 chicken breasts
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper
1 jalapeno, minced (seeds removed if you like it mild)
1 tomato, diced small
¼ onion, diced small
½ cup of fresh cilantro, chopped
1 bunch of spring onions (4-5 individual bulbs with stalks), sliced diagonally
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp sugar
Instructions – Grilled Chicken
- Preheat grill.
- Wash chicken.
- Make cutlets by cutting through each breast horizontally. You will end up with a total of 6 cutlets.
- Dredge chicken in olive oil. Salt and pepper.
- Grill chicken for 10 minutes on first side and 5 minutes on flip side. Keep an eye on since cutlets are thinner than usual and will cook fast and evenly.
- Remove from heat and wrap in tin foil. Put foil package in a warmer oven on low heat. This will also ensure that chicken is cooked thoroughly by the time you are ready to serve with the relish.
Instructions – Relish
- In a bowl, combine jalapeno, cilantro, tomato, and onion in a bowl.
- Heat skillet on stove on medium-high heat.
- Add butter. Move to low heat.
- Add spring onions to skillet along with sugar.
- Stir and let sit until onions begin to caramelize.
- Remove from heat and mix with jalapeno-cilantro mixture.
- Remove chicken from foil and top with relish. Serve.
Eat well, my friends. Eat well.