This delicious and healthy five-ingredient low-carb taco meatball recipe will be ready in thirty-minutes, from start to finish. And you’ll only need to wash three things: a mixing bowl, a skillet, and your hands.
Which taco meat is the best?
Meatballs come in all shapes, sizes, and ingredients such as beef, pork, turkey, chicken, vegetarian, and vegan. My personal favorite meatball base is ground chicken breast. The consistency is extremely fine and therefore you avoid any mystery bites of fat, grizzle, or well, mystery bites.
Another great reason for choosing ground chicken for meatballs is that ground chicken breast is somewhat bland all by itself. This means that whatever ingredients you add will stay pure and deliciously powerful. Score!
Just in case you were wondering, by all means, substitute the ground chicken in this recipe with turkey or beef!
How are these low-carb meatballs?
Most meatballs have the addition of bread crumbs, which spells c-a-r-
Serve these low-carb taco meatballs over super-delicious green rice, mashed potatoes or mashed cauliflower, or go crazy. Tuck them in a taco shell, stuffed in a sub, sliced on a pizza, or toss them with your favorite pasta!
Right now I am imaging the next iteration of this recipe… I think I will grab a baking dish and add a layer of the most delicious home-made refried beans, then seasoned rice, and then tightly pack a layer of these taco meatballs covered with cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for fifteen minutes so that everything gets really nice and gooey. Remove from oven and sprinkle with shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, and sour cream. Sounds delicious, right?
But first things first, start with making these simple taco meatballs. So many people have shared with me that this recipe is now a staple dinner item for their families. It’s simple, easy, low-mess, quick, healthy, and super delicious!
The best cooking methods for low-carb taco meatballs.
My recipe calls for cooking in a skillet over medium-high heat. I prefer the skillet method because it’s quick and easy – plus, you’ll have dinner ready in no time!
- SKILLET: Medium-high heat with olive oil for thirty-minutes, turning until evenly browned.
- OVEN: You can also bake them in a pre-heated oven at 400-degrees on a sheet pan with parchment paper for thirty-minutes. Flip them over until the inside temperature is at least 165-degrees. T
- SLOW COOKER: Brown the meatballs in a skillet before placing them in a slow cooker on low for six hours (or high for three).
- PRESSURE COOK: Brown using saute function on all sides. Switch to manual high pressure for fifteen minutes and release steam.
I can’t wait to hear what you think about this recipe and how it improves your kitchen life and that four-o’clock “what’s for dinner?” challenge.
Happy meatball dinner!
Eat well, my friends.
Healthy low-carb taco meatballs
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup red onions, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 pound ground chicken breast
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- Mix cilantro, onions, taco seasoning, and ground chicken together and form bite-size meatballs.
- Heat skillet to medium-high heat and add olive oil.
- Cook meatballs for approximately thirty-minutes, turning until evenly browned and temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- Serve and enjoy!