Wow, I didn't realize there were so many leavening agents!
Hi LisaR (angelle) – I know, I didn't realize it either. When I was a kid I thought it was just yeast, baking powder, and baking soda. This is a list I've been keeping for years that I have just kept adding to whenever I would come across a new one. Thanks for your comment!
There are a lot of folks right now who are getting ready to observe the Days of Unleavened Bread. This is an annual religious observance in the spring when leavening products (symbolic of sin) are removed from the home and observers refrain from eating for one week.
So exactly what are leavening agents?
· Ammonium Bicarbonate
· Baking Powder
· Saleratus (Baking Soda)
· Baking Soda
· Carbonate of Ammonia
· Powdered Baking Ammonia
· Single-acting Tartrate (European)
· Phosphate Baking Powders (European)
· Bakers Yeast
· Active Dry Yeast
· Compressed Fresh Yeast
· Dicalcium Phosphate Dihydrate
· Dimagnesium Phosphate
· Monocalcium Phosphate Monohydrate
· Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate
· Potassium Bicarbonate
· Tartaric Acid
· Calcium Carbonate
· Disodium Dihydrogen Pyrophosphate
What are NOT leavening agents?
· Brewer’s Yeast (also called Nutritional Yeast, a complete food leftover from the process of creating alcohol)
· Autolyzed Yeast Extracts
· Yeast Extracts
· Hydrolyzed Soy Protein
· Yellow Salt Prussiate Soda
· Egg Whites
· Cream of Tartar
· Steam or Air
Interested in learning more about the Days of Unleavened Bread? Here is a site that explains more: http://www.beyondtoday.tv/booklets/hd/leavingsin.asp