To be perfectly fair, the venue WAS served up with following, although somewhat ambiguous, agenda:
“Celebrity chef, restaurateur, best-selling author and TV personality Guy Fieri is bringing his zest for life and unique culinary style to Walton Arts Center!”
· Yes, his books were for sale and lots of folks were snatching them up.
· The show did have a “Minute to Win It” audience participation section where they did this cookie thing. Hard to describe.
“The Guy Fieri Food Show mixes the best elements of a live cooking show, the fun of a variety revue, and the non-stop adrenaline rush of a rock concert.”
· Man, I wish they actually had cooked more, because that would’ve been great!
· I gotta’ tell ya, the camera man who led the audience in “calling the hogs” was fun.
· Rock concert? Since I went to high school in the 80s, the music totally rocked it!
“Fieri will take center stage with an unscripted and wildly entertaining performance – complete with interactive cooking stations, secret tips and dishes from his forthcoming cookbook “Guy Fieri Food” as well as behind-the-scene stories from the road, and much more.
· Show was sponsored by the Pork Board, so there were lots of pork references (did I mention that I don’t eat pork?)
· Fieri does seem like he is a really easy-going dude.
· He really didn’t cook much other then sauté a bit. Then there was this beer-keg-looking-apparatus where he and others on stage mixed a giant cocktail. Oh, there was rock music in the background!
· We did get to hear a really (long) story about when he fried a turkey.
· Unscripted is a perfect word to describe this evening!
Net, net? The majority of the audience DID seem like they were having a great time. Dennis and I went with our friends Nathan and Amanda and we lost track of the time… much to our avail because by the time we slipped out, it was 10pm and our fav restaurants on Dickson Street had closed down their main dining rooms. We were starving.
And all that variety reviewin’, adrenaline rushin’, interactive cookin’ was making us all ravenous, a bit cranky (truthfully, only me) and craving a drink.
Okay, here’s my takeaway. First, it was a food event and there is always some lesson to be learned and shared, right?
This is the one big takeaway that I absolutely LOVED from the Guy Fieri Food Show: I loved, loved, loved, loved that they incorporated the students from the Northwest Arkansas Community College’s Culinary Program in Bentonville. What a great experience for these students! It was also a good plug for the audience to realize that NWACC actually has a culinary arts program!
Click, here for details.
I’m curious… did any of you attend the Guy Fieri Food Show? What did you think? Did you leave with any great takeaways because I would LOVE for you share with us!
When Guy said, "I'd eat that off a dirty flip flop with some Jalapenos" on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dive… I decided he was too annoying for me. ORRRRrrr when he added Tequila to Pancake syrup. To each their own, though. Me? I am more a Barefoot Contessa kind of girl.
ha ha ha, Jasmine! I never made it that far on one of his shows!
Barefoot Contessa is my make-believe Auntie.